Essential Guidance on Candle Care and Safety

Burning your candle for the first time.

The first burn of a candle is the most important.

Make sure that you will be around to allow the melt pool (i.e. the molten wax at the top of the candle) to reach the side of the candle container.  This may take at least two hours, depending on the width of the candle (a rough guide is that the wax will melt at a rate of 1 inch per hour).  If you blow the candle out within, say, half an hour, all future burns of the candle will only achieve this initial width, so you will be wasting a lot of wax.  This is what it means when it is said that a candle has a memory!

Only burn your candle for a few hours at a time!

Do not allow the candle to burn for more than four hours at a time.  It is advised that the optimum amount of time to burn at any one time is 2-3 hours.  A candle that has burnt for more than this, will develop a large/tall, flame, which may produce an excess of carbon/soot, whilst being burnt.  It may also be more likely to come into contact with a flammable source, as it burns above the glass.


The ideal method of extinguishing a candle….

Is to use a snuffer!

This avoids any chance of excess sooting which may cause the glass to become dirty; it also avoids any chance of the flame and any possible sparks, from igniting with a nearby flammable source.


Trimming your wick

Before you light the candle, make sure that you have trimmed the wick to about 3-5 mms, which will remove any old carbon from the previous burn, and give you a better flame.


To burn, or not to burn, right to the bottom of the container?

No, is the simple answer.  It is good practise to leave a few millimetres of wax in the bottom of the container.  This will avoid any chance of the glass breaking as it may become too hot (there won’t be any wax to ‘dilute’ the strength of the flame, if you have allowed the majority of the wax to burn off.



Return your container to us for a refill, or money off your next purchase.  If you like the container, then just wash it out with soapy water ensuring that no wax is drained from the sink-it might clog your pipes!  It will not be suitable for storing food, but may well be useful on a dressing table, etc.



If you have any questions, about how to light, burn and keep your candles safely, please get in touch.